Cutting Back Coneflowers

The coneflowers are growing tall quickly, as you can see in the photo of one of our volunteers standing in the middle of them. Next week, we are going to start tagging the leaves, and then start collecting data on ozone damage in early June. Before doing that, we needed to cut down some of the coneflower stems.

DSC_0045

The stems had become overcrowded, making it difficult to observe individual leaves. The overcrowded leaves also block light from reaching lower leaves, causing them to die. If the coneflowers were just there to fill space and look nice, we could probably have not cut as many away, but we do not want our tag leaves to die from lack of sunlight or be hard to find in the tangle of stems.

To remove stems, we took scissors and cut at an angle near the base. We then piled the severed stems in a trash can and put them in the dumpster. This will not kill the plants, as they will rebound easily.

In other news, the soil moisture sensor we installed last week needed a new battery. All the rain and cloudy days had not provided the solar panel on the sensor enough light to recharge.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s