Kale and mint are some of the plants we grew in 2015. We often took home piles of kale and other food. One of our volunteers, Nicolette Scott, came up with a recipe for a kale smoothie that includes both mint and kale:
Kale Smoothie Recipe
by Nicolette Scott
- Orange Juice
In order for the smoothie to have the thickness you want, I recommend freezing your fruits first and then adding them to the blender.
- Step 1- Freeze 2 cups of strawberries and blueberries.
- Step 2- Remove the fruits from freezer. Then cut strawberries and blueberries into halves.
- Step 3- Rinse kale. Then remove the stalk and chop the leaves in halves.
- Step 4- Chop a generous amount of mint.
- Step 5- Pour 1 cup of orange juice into blender.
- Step 6- Add mint into blender and blend until smooth.
- Step 7- Add a generous amount of frozen fruit into blender and blend until smooth.
- Step 8- Once smooth, add kale to the mixture and blend until smooth
Because the fruits are frozen, they add thickness to the smoothie instead of it being water based. I find that the mint adds an extra kick to my smoothie, and it wakes me up. This smoothie is great for breakfast and it tastes incredibly delicious.